- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 4oz)sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 cups halved cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- One 15-oz. can no-salt-added tomato sauce
- One 170g (6oz) can no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tsp. maple syrup
- Black pepper to taste
- 14oz Fettucini (gluten-free if necessary, this is our favorite)
- Pepita Parmesan, optional
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted green olives
- 2 tbsp. capers, rinsed and drained
- Chopped fresh parsley or basil, optional
- Fill a bowl halfway with water and add the sun-dried tomatoes. Allow them to soak for 10 minutes, or until they are rehydrated and tender. Drain and set aside the soaking water.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 8 minutes, or until the sun-dried tomatoes and cherry tomatoes are tender. Combine the basil, tomato sauce, tomato paste, 1 1/2 cups of the reserved soaking water, and the maple syrup in a large mixing bowl. Stir everything together until it’s smooth.
- Blend the mixture with an immersion blender until smooth (or mostly smooth), or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to medium-low if the sauce is sputtering too much. Season with pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil while the sauce is cooking. Cook the fettucini according to package directions until al dente. Drain.
- You can either add the pasta to the sauce or spoon the sauce over the pasta. In either case, garnish with Pepita Parmesan (if using), olives, capers, and parsley (if using). Serve right away. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 367
- Fat: 5g
- Carbs: 69g
- Protein: 14g
- Sugar: 3.4g