- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4 Sammies
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary)
- 1 tbsp. ketchup
- 1 tbsp. no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 tsp. red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 tbsp. sweet pickle relish
- 4 portobello mushroom caps (or 1/2 lb white button mushrooms sliced)
- Olive oil spray
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 2 tbsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free and/or soy-free if necessary)
- Black pepper to taste
- 4 vegan sandwich rolls (gluten-free if necessary), split horizontally
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce, Melty Variation or vegan cheese slices
- Loads of sauerkraut
To make the Russian dressing:
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, ketchup, tomato paste, vinegar, dill, and paprika. To taste, add relish. Refrigerate until ready to use.
To make the sandwiches:
- Preheat the oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Lightly spray the top and bottom of each portobello cap with olive oil and place gill side up on a baking sheet.
- Combine the liquid aminos and Worcestershire sauce in a small cup or bowl. Drizzle over the mushrooms and season with pepper. 10 minutes in the oven Remove from the oven and set aside for a few minutes to cool. Cut the mushrooms into 12-inch strips on the bias. Keep the cheese sauce warm by heating it.
- Preheat the oven to broil. Place the rolls, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Place portobello strips on the bottom halves of the pan. On top of the mushrooms, spread or drop the cheese sauce. Broil for 1 to 2 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and the bread is toasted.
- Spread Russian dressing on the top half of each roll, then pile on a pile of sauerkraut on the cheesy half of each sandwich. Place the top half of the sandwich on top of the sandwich and serve right away.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 284
- Fat: 9g
- Carbs: 43.5g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Sugar: 8.9g