- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly, Vegan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Recipe Yield:
- 2 cups sliced fresh cremini mushrooms (or button mushrooms)
- 1 cup sliced green or red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup sliced red onion
- 2 cups loosely packed fresh spinach leaves
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 large flour tortillas (see Variation for making these gluten-free)
- 2 cups Pizza Sauce; or store-bought vegan pizza or marinara sauce)
- 1/2 cup sliced pitted black olives
- Cashew Cheese Sauce
- Olive oil spray
- Melt butter in a large frying pan over medium heat. Cook until the mushrooms, bell pepper, and onion are tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Cook until the spinach is just starting to wilt. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to a mixing bowl. Remove the frying pan from the heat.
- Make a tortilla. Half of the sandwich should be topped with tomato sauce. Top with a quarter of the vegetables and a few black olives. Drizzle about 3 tbsp. cheese sauce on top and fold the tortilla over. Rep with the rest of the ingredients.
- Melt the butter in a frying pan over medium heat. Spray the pan with olive oil and place two quesadillas in it. Olive oil should be sprayed on the tops of the quesadillas. When the bottom is golden, flip the quesadillas and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, or until both sides are crispy and golden. Cover them with aluminum foil and place them on a plate. Rep with the rest of the quesadillas. Slice and serve immediately, with a light drizzle of the cheese sauce on top and extra pizza sauce for dipping.
You’ll need some large gluten-free tortillas to make these gluten-free. The method will be slightly different because these tend to break when folded. Spread the pizza sauce, toppings, and cheese sauce over the entire tortilla, not just half of it. Top with another tortilla and cook as in step 3, making a total of two. Slice as you would a regular pizza.