- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Desserts
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly, Vegan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Recipe Yield:
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend, soy-free if necessary)
- 1 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. xanthan gum (exclude if using all-purpose flour or if your gluten-free blend includes it)
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsalted, unsweetened natural peanut butter
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce (or mashed banana)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar, optional
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Optional add-ins: 1/2 cup raisins, chopped peanuts, and/or vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, xanthan gum (if using), and nutmeg until well combined.
- Combine the peanut butter, maple syrup, applesauce, coconut oil, coconut sugar (if using), and vanilla in a medium mixing bowl. Stir everything together until it’s smooth.
- Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until well combined. If you’re using add-ins, make sure to fold them in.
- Scoop a heaping tablespoon of dough from the bowl, roll it into a perfect ball in your hands, and place it on the baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the dough, spacing the balls 1 1/2 inches apart. Flatten each ball slightly with your fingers.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until the bottom is firm and slightly golden. Allow the cookies to cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheets before transferring them to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before serving. The cookies will keep for 3 to 4 days in an airtight container (in the fridge if the weather is warm).