- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Sides
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Grain Free, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 50 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 6-8 Servings
- Olive oil spray
- 1lb (16oz). fresh green beans, trimmed
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 1 sweet onion, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup vegan panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly spray a 9 × 13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Cover the green beans in a steamer basket set over a pot of boiling water. After 5 minutes, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Pour the soup into the bowl and mix well. Place aside.
- While the green beans are steaming, in a large frying pan over medium heat, melt half of the butter. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and golden, 5 to 7 minutes. Place the onions in a medium mixing bowl. (Don’t bother cleaning the pan.) In the frying pan, melt the remaining butter and add the bread crumbs. Cook until the crumbs are crispy, stirring frequently. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic powder and salt. Combine the nutritional yeast with the onions (if using). To combine, stir everything together.
- Fill the baking dish halfway with the green bean mixture. Cover the top with the onion mixture. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the topping has crisped and the casserole has risen. Serve right away. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
To make ahead of time, bake the casserole without the topping for 25 minutes. Place in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Prepare the onion topping, spread it on top, and bake the casserole for 15 to 20 minutes, or until heated through, at 400°F.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 71
- Fat: 2.7g
- Carbs: 9.8g
- Protein: 3.6g
- Sugar: 2g