- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Recipe Yield: 6 Servings
- 4 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 6 medium yellow onions, halved and very thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup vegan dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 quarts low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast, optional
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 vegan baguette, sliced (gluten-free if necessary)
- Smoked Gouda Cheese Sauce, “Melty” Variation
- Chopped fresh parsley, optional
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, melt the butter over medium heat and add the onions. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are browned and caramelized. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes more, or until the garlic is fragrant, before adding the garlic, thyme, and bay leaves. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed by the wine. Cook, stirring constantly, until the oat flour is no longer visible, about 2 minutes.
- Bring the broth to a boil, then remove from the heat. Reduce the heat to low and continue to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the sauce has thickened. Combine the nutritional yeast (if using), salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Take the pan off the heat and discard the bay leaves.
- Preheat the oven broiler. On a baking sheet, arrange six small ovenproof bowls or ramekins. Pour the soup into the serving bowls. 1 or 2 baguette slices should be placed on top of the soup. Spread the cheese sauce on top of the bread. Preheat the broiler while the baking sheet with the bowls is in the oven. Broil the cheese for 3 to 4 minutes, or until it is browned and bubbly. Take the pan off the heat and sprinkle with parsley (if using). Serve right away. Leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 2 to 3 days.
Because the cheese sauce will take 5 to 7 minutes to heat, I recommend making it while the soup is simmering.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 187
- Fat: 5.7g
- Carbs: 27.7g
- Protein: 6.3g
- Sugar: 6.7g