- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Desserts
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly, Vegan
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Recipe Yield: 12 Servings
- Vegan cooking spray (or vegan butter; soy-free if necessary)
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (nut-free and/or soy-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 3 cups white rice flour
- 1 1/2 cups cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup + 2 tbsp. coconut sugar
- 1 tbsp. baking powder
- 1 tbsp. baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup maple syrup
- 12 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary), melted
- 1/2 cup + 1 tbsp. aquafaba
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup vegan chocolate chips (or chunks, we love these)
- 3 cups pitted Medjool dates
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla non-dairy milk (nut-free and/or soy-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Vegan chocolate shavings, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray three 9-inch cake pans with cooking spray or grease them with a bit of butter.
To make the cake:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk and vinegar. Place aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the rice flour, cocoa powder, oat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Whisk in the maple syrup, butter, aquafaba, and vanilla extract until combined. Stir together the wet and dry ingredients until thoroughly combined and smooth.
- Divide the batter evenly between the three pans and bake for 35–40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow the layers to cool for about 30 minutes in the pans. Running a knife around the inside edge of the cake pans, gently transfer the layers to cooling racks to cool completely.
Make the frosting after the layers have been removed from the oven:
- Melt the chocolate chips in a double boiler or a heatproof bowl set over a pot of boiling water until smooth, stirring occasionally. Take the pan off the heat. In a food processor, combine the dates and milk and process until smooth. Process the melted chocolate, cocoa powder, vanilla extract, and salt until smooth. Place the frosting in a jar and place in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Place one of the layers on a plate or serving dish after the frosting has chilled and thickened. Spread a layer of frosting on top with a thin silicone spatula or a butter knife. On top of the frosting, add another layer. Frost the top of the second layer evenly, then top with the third layer. Spread the remaining frosting evenly over the top and around the sides of the cake until it is completely covered. If desired, garnish with chocolate shavings. Cut into slices and serve. The cake can be stored, covered, at room temperature or in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Divide the cake ingredients by three and the frosting ingredients by two to make 12 cupcakes. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners and divide the batter evenly between the cups. Bake for 18–20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center almost comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 30 minutes in the pan before transferring them to a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
If the frosted cake is refrigerated overnight in an airtight container, it will gain moisture and firmness.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 216
- Fat: 4.4g
- Carbs: 45.5g
- Protein: 4.8g
- Sugar: 26.6g