- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Sides
- Tagged: Gluten Free, Grain Free, Kid Friendly, Soy Free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: Makes 4 Servings, with Extra Sauce
- 1 cup chopped Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup peeled, chopped carrot
- 1 bunch (1lb / 16oz) broccoli chopped into florets
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked in hot water for 10 minutes and drained, water reserved
- 3/4 cup reserved soaking water
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- In a medium pot, cover the potatoes and carrots with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the vegetables can be pierced easily with a fork.
- While the potatoes and carrots are boiling, place the broccoli in a steamer basket over a pot of boiling water and cover. Steam the broccoli for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender. When the vegetables are tender, remove from the heat but keep warm until ready to serve.
- Drain and add the potatoes and carrots to the blender. Combine the cashews, soaking water, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, olive oil, onion powder, garlic powder, and salt in a mixing bowl. Blend until the mixture is completely smooth.
- Serve with a pinch of salt and pepper and a few dollops of cheese sauce. Refrigerate any leftover cheese sauce in an airtight container for 3 to 4 days.
If your children dislike broccoli, substitute cauliflower or another vegetable that they enjoy.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 8.2g
- Carbs: 17.4g
- Protein: 7g
- Sugar: 2.5g