- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Desserts
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 12 Cupcakes
- 2 tbsp. non-dairy milk (nut-free and/or soy-free if necessary)
- 1 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- 1 3/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (or gluten-free flour blend, soy-free if necessary)
- 2 tbsp. arrowroot powder
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (exclude if using all-purpose flour or if your gluten-free blend includes it)
- 8 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary), at room temperature
- 2/3 cup vegan Champagne (or sparkling wine)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 8 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 3 cups powdered sugar (or powdered monkfruitl)
- 2 tbsp. vegan Champagne (or sparkling wine)
- 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Additional vegan decorations, optional
To make the cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper or silicone liners.
- Combine the milk and vinegar in a cup or small bowl. Place aside.
- Whisk together the flour, arrowroot powder, coconut sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthan gum in a large mixing bowl (if using).
- In a medium mixing bowl, cream together the butter and Champagne with a hand mixer. Mix in the milk mixture and vanilla extract until well combined. Slowly combine the wet and dry ingredients with a hand mixer until well combined.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the cupcakes to cool for 10 minutes in the muffin tin before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Make the frosting while the cupcakes are cooling:
- Mix all of the frosting ingredients together with a hand mixer. Place in the refrigerator for at least 15 minutes, or until ready to use.
- When the cupcakes are cool enough to handle, transfer the frosting to a pastry bag fitted with a decorating tip or a large resealable plastic bag with the corner cut out and pipe frosting onto each cupcake. Alternatively, spread frosting on each cupcake with a butter knife or silicone spatula. You can decorate if you want. Refrigerate until ready to serve or serve immediately. These cupcakes are best the day they are made, but they can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
Replace the Champagne with vegan ginger ale or sparkling apple cider to make these alcohol-free.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 256
- Fat: 5g
- Carbs: 21.6g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Sugar: 14.5g