- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 45 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 40 Nuggets
- Two 8oz packages tempeh
- 3 cups low-sodium “no-chicken” flavored vegetable broth (or regular vegetable broth)
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried marjoram
- 3/4 cup plain vegan yogurt (preferably unsweetened, nut-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (nut-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp. tahini (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 cups vegan panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- Olive oil spray
- Ketchup (or vegan barbecue sauce; homemade or store-bought), for dipping
- Chop each tempeh block into about 20 chunks, for a total of 40 nuggets.
- In a large pot, combine the broth, liquid aminos, thyme, and marjoram. Bring the tempeh to a boil in a saucepan. When the tempeh reaches a boil, reduce to a low heat and leave to cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside to drain (you can save the liquid for another time you need to cook with broth or add a bit of liquid to your pan; it should keep in the fridge for a couple of weeks). Set the tempeh aside to cool until it is safe to handle.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the yogurt, milk, tahini, salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika while the tempeh is cooling. Combine the bread crumbs and nutritional yeast in a separate shallow bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Dredge a piece of tempeh in the yogurt mixture with one hand, then toss it in the bread crumbs with the other. Place the nugget on the baking sheet that has been prepared. Repeat with the rest of the nuggets.
- Spray the tops of the nuggets lightly with olive oil. Bake for 12 minutes, then flip and spray the tops with olive oil again before returning to the oven for another 12 minutes, or until crispy and golden. Serve immediately with dipping sauces of your choice. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 11
- Fat: .8g
- Carbs: .8g
- Protein: .6g
- Sugar: .1g