- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Breakfast
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Grain Free, Kid Friendly, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Recipe Yield: 10-12 Servings
- Olive oil spray
- One block extra firm tofu (use Pumfu for a soy free option)
- 3 cups unsweetened non-dairy milk (nut-free if necessary)
- 2 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. black salt (kala namak; or regular salt)
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. mustard powder
- 3/4 tsp. ground turmeric
- Black pepper to taste
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- One 16oz bag frozen hash browns
- Tempeh Bacon Crumbles (optional)
- 4 green onions, chopped (green and white parts)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F Spray a 9 x 13-inch baking dish lightly with olive oil.
- Squeeze the tofu gently over the sink to remove any excess water. In a blender, combine the tofu, milk, chickpea flour, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, garlic powder, mustard powder, turmeric, and pepper. Pour into the largest bowl you have.
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and bell pepper until they are just tender. Pour the onion and bell pepper into the bowl and return the pan to the stove. Add the hash browns and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the hash browns are thawed and golden in color. Take the pan off the heat and pour it into the bowl.
- Stir in the bacon crumbles until evenly distributed. Pour into the prepared baking dish and top with the green onions. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the center is firm and a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes to rest before serving. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 172
- Fat: 3.2g
- Carbs: 28g
- Protein: 9.2g
- Sugar: 5.4g