- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 3-4 Servings
- 2 large zucchini
- Vegan marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil chiffonade
HERBED MACADAMIA RICOTTA
- 1 cup raw macadamia nuts, soaked in hot water for at least 10 minutes and drained, water reserved
- 3 tbsp. reserved soaking water
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- Remove the zucchini’s ends. Slice the zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler or mandolin to make long, thin strips. Place the zucchini strips on a couple of paper towels to dry. Sprinkle with salt and set aside for about 10 minutes to drain. The salt will aid in the release of excess water and softening of the zucchini.
- Make the herbed ricotta while the zucchini drains: In a food processor, combine the macadamia nuts, 4 teaspoons of the reserved soaking water, the lemon juice, dried basil, oregano, salt, and miso and process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed. If you have trouble getting the cheese to move, add more soaking water a teaspoon at a time until it moves more smoothly.
- Using a clean kitchen towel, pat the zucchini dry. Lay out two slices of zucchini, one slightly overlapping the other. Scoop 1 scant tablespoon ricotta onto one end of the strips. Take the zucchini ends closest to the ricotta and carefully roll them over the ricotta. Continue until the roll is completely rolled up. Place seam side down on a plate. Repeat with the rest of the zucchini slices.
- Warm up the marinara sauce. Serve the manicotti with the sauce, Pepita Parmesan (if using), and basil chiffonade on the side. Refrigerate any leftover ricotta in an airtight container for up to 7 days.
If you want to save a buck (or several), you can substitute raw cashews or almonds for the macadamia nuts.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 270
- Fat: 25.8g
- Carbs: 10.5g
- Protein: 4.7g
- Sugar: 4.5g