- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Desserts
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly, Vegan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Recipe Yield:
Vegan cooking spray (soy-free if necessary)
- 1 heaping cup broken pretzels (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tbsp. coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1/3cup oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 1/2 tbsp. vegan butter (soy-free if necessary)
- 1/3cup chopped pitted Medjool dates
- 1/3cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 heaping tbsp. vegan dark chocolate chips (or chopped vegan chocolate)
- 1/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. coconut oil, melted
- Flaked sea salt, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C, or gas mark 4). Lightly spray two 41/2-inch tart pans with cooking spray.
To make the crust:
- In a food processor, combine the pretzels, sugar, and oat flour to make a coarse flour. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and cut in the butter until the dough is crumbly and holds together when squeezed.
- Divide the dough evenly between the two tart pans, pressing it into the bottom and up the sides. Bake for 12 minutes, or until the top is dark golden brown. Allow the pans to cool completely on a cooling rack.
To make the caramel:
- In a food processor, combine all of the ingredients. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate for 30 minutes after dividing the mixture between the two crusts.
To make the ganache:
- In a heatproof bowl, place the chocolate. Bring the coconut milk to a boil over medium heat, then remove from the heat and immediately pour over the chocolate. Allow it to rest for a few minutes before stirring gently until smooth. Add the coconut oil and mix well. Pour the ganache over the tarts and evenly distribute it. If desired, sprinkle the tops with flaked sea salt.
- Refrigerate the tarts for at least 1 to 2 hours, or until the chocolate is firm. Refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigerate leftovers in airtight containers for 2 to 3 days.