- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Recipe Yield:
- Two 8oz packages tempeh
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp. white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- 1 tsp. dried sage
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Cut each tempeh block in half horizontally, then diagonally, to make eight triangles.
- Fill a large shallow saucepan with a few inches of water and place a steamer basket inside. Cover the tempeh triangles in the steamer basket with a lid. Bring to a boil, then turn down to a low heat. Steam the tempeh for 15 to 20 minutes, flipping the triangles halfway. Remove the steamer basket from the pan (but leave the tempeh inside) and set aside.
- Remove the saucepan’s contents. In a mixing bowl, combine the vegetable broth, liquid aminos, maple syrup, miso, sage, and thyme. Bring the tempeh triangles to a boil. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Allow the tempeh to simmer in the sauce for 10 to 12 minutes, flipping halfway through, until the sauce is absorbed and begins to caramelize. Remove from the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve right away. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 to 5 days.