- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Sides
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 15 Minutes
- Cook Time: 25 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 3-4 Servings
- One 20 oz can jackfruit, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups cooked cannellini beans/15 oz can, rinsed & drained
- 4 green onions, finely chopped, plus more for garnish
- 1 cup cooked brown rice
- 2 tbsp. chickpea flour, plus more if needed
- 1 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary)
- 1 tbsp. Old Bay Seasoning
- 2 tsp. liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 1 tsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. kelp granules
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sunflower oil (or canola oil) for frying
LEMON DILL AÏOLI
- 3/4 cup vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- Salt to taste
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to line a baking sheet. In a food processor, pulse the jackfruit five times until it is broken up into smaller pieces.
- Pour the beans into a mixing bowl and mash them with a potato masher until creamy but still chunky. Stir in the jackfruit, green onions, brown rice, chickpea flour, mayonnaise, Old Bay, liquid aminos, parsley, kelp granules, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. When you squeeze the mixture, it should stay together. If it doesn’t, add a tablespoon of chickpea flour at a time until it does.
- Scoop out 1/3 cup of the mixture and shape it into a patty with your hands. Place the patty on the prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the mixture. You should be able to make about 12 patties.
- Over medium heat, heat a large frying pan, preferably cast iron. Heat for 2 to 3 minutes with enough oil to coat the bottom. Paper towels should be used to line a plate. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until crispy and browned all over, with three or four patties in the pan. Place the cooked patties on a plate and cover with additional paper towels to absorb any excess oil. Repeat with the remaining patties, adding more oil as needed, until they are all cooked.
- Make the aioli while the cakes are baking: Stir together all the ingredients in a cup. Refrigerate until ready to use. Serve the cakes with the aioli on the side, garnished with chopped green onions. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 164
- Fat: 2g
- Carbs: 32g
- Protein: 4g
- Sugar: .6g