- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 6 Burgers
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- One 397g (14oz) block extra firm tofu, pressed for about 30 minutes
- 2 tbsp. liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari)
- 1 tsp. vegan Worcestershire sauce (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried basil
- 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 3/4 cup rolled oats (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup vegan bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 2 tbsp. sesame seeds
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 6 vegan burger buns (gluten-free if necessary)
- Burger fixings (all are optional): lettuce, sliced tomato, sliced avocado, sliced red onion, pickles, Pickled Red Cabbage & Onion Relish, ketchup, mustard, barbecue sauce, Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce or other vegan cheese
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, heat the olive oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent.
- Place in a food processor. Combine the tofu, liquid aminos, Worcestershire sauce, liquid smoke, cumin, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, and 1/4 cup of the oats in a mixing bowl. Blend until smooth.
- Add the remaining oats, bread crumbs, and sesame seeds to the mixture in a large mixing bowl. Mix until everything is well combined. Season with salt and pepper.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to line a baking sheet. Make six equal parts of the mixture. Form the mixture into patties with your hands or a greased biscuit cutter (sized to fit the buns) and place on a baking sheet.
- Preheat a large grill pan or frying pan over medium heat, preferably cast iron. Spray the pan liberally with olive oil. Place 2 or 3 patties in the pan (however many will fit without being crowded) and cook for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, or until firm, crisp, and browned on the outside (a few minutes longer if your patties are more than 3/4 inch thick). Place the burgers on top of the buns. Rep with the remaining patties, sprinkling the pan between batches.
- Allow everyone to assemble their burger with their preferred toppings. Burgers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 349
- Fat: 5.2g
- Carbs: 15.5g
- Protein: 9.5g
- Sugar: 5g