- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 1 tbsp. sesame oil
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or two 15oz cans, rinsed and drained)
- 3 tbsp. gluten-free tamari (use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 4 cups shredded napa cabbage (about 1 small head)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup grated carrots (3 or 4 large carrots)
- 1 cup toasted sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions (green and white parts)
- One 10oz can mandarin oranges (preferably packed in juice, not syrup), rinsed and drained
- One 8oz can sliced water chestnuts, rinsed, drained, and cut in half
- Crispy rice crackers, crumbled
MISO GINGER DRESSING
- 1/2 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 tbsp. white soy miso (or chickpea miso)
- 2 tsp. freshly grated ginger
- In a large shallow saucepan over medium heat, heat the sesame oil. Cook for a few minutes, then add the chickpeas and tamari. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has been absorbed by the tamari. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- To make the dressing, combine all of the ingredients in a small cup or bowl.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the napa cabbage, red cabbage, carrots, almonds, green onions, mandarin oranges, and water chestnuts. Toss in the chickpeas and dressing until well combined. Serve immediately with crumbled rice crackers on top.
You can prepare the chickpeas, salad (without the almonds), and dressing ahead of time and store them separately. Just before serving, combine the three components, along with the almonds.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 591
- Fat: 19.6g
- Carbs: 81g
- Protein: 28.4g
- Sugar: 15.8g