- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 6-7 Servings
DILL YOGURT SAUCE
- 1 cup plain coconut yogurt (or soy yogurt; preferably unsweetened)
- 6 tbsp. vegan mayonnaise (soy-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 2 tbsp. freshly chopped dill (or 1 tbsp. dried dill)
- 2 tsp. maple syrup (exclude if using sweetened yogurt)
- 1 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1lb (16oz) sweet potatoes or yams, peeled and roughly chopped
- One 425g (15oz) can chickpeas, brine reserved, chickpeas rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp. reserved chickpea brine
- 4 green onions, finely chopped (green and white parts)
- 2/3 cup cornmeal (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup vegan panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- Olive oil for frying
To make the sauce:
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the sauce ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to use, covered.
To make the croquettes:
- Place the sweet potatoes in a pot with enough water to cover them. Bring to a boil and cook for 7 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender. Drain thoroughly.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the chickpeas with 1 tablespoon brine until they are broken up into small pieces. Mash the sweet potatoes until mostly smooth. Combine the green onions, cornmeal, garlic, lemon zest, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper in a mixing bowl. Stir everything together until it’s smooth.
- Use parchment paper or a silicone baking mat to line a baking sheet. Fill a shallow bowl halfway with bread crumbs. Scoop up a small amount of the croquette mixture, shape it into a patty, coat it in bread crumbs, and place it on the prepared baking sheet. Rep with the rest of the croquette mixture.
- Paper towels should be used to line a plate. Over medium heat, heat a large frying pan, preferably cast iron. Heat enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan until it shimmers. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, or until golden, with half of the croquettes. Place on a plate to drain. If necessary, add more oil to the pan (allow the oil to heat if you add more). Cook the rest of the croquettes. Serve immediately with the dill yogurt sauce. Refrigerate leftovers in airtight containers for 2 to 3 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 158
- Fat: 5.9g
- Carbs: 25.9g
- Protein: 15g
- Sugar: 2.3g