- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Kid Friendly, Vegan
- Prep Time: 1 Hour (soak tofu)
- Cook Time: 1 Hour
- Recipe Yield: 4 Sammies
- 1/2 cup low-sodium “no-chicken” flavored vegetable broth (or regular low-sodium vegetable broth)
- 1/4 cup liquid aminos (or gluten-free tamari; use coconut aminos to be soy-free)
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/2 tsp. liquid smoke
- One 14oz block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed for 1 hour (we use this tofu press, or you can use some heavy cook books wrapped in clean kitchen towels)
- 1/3 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. Dijon mustard (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 2 celery stalks, halved lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1/4 small yellow onion, diced
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Sliced tomato
- 8 vegan bread slices (or 4 vegan sandwich rolls; gluten-free if necessary)
- In an 8-inch baking dish, combine the broth, liquid aminos, thyme, marjoram, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, and liquid smoke. Toss the tofu cubes in the marinade until well coated. Marinate the tofu for 20 minutes, tossing once or twice to distribute the marinade evenly.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Scoop and spread the tofu onto the prepared baking sheet with a slotted spoon. Bake for 30 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown, tossing once halfway through. Remove the tofu from the oven and set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the mayonnaise, mustard, and dill. Stir in the celery, onion, and tofu until well combined. Season with salt and pepper to taste. You can eat it right away or chill it for a few minutes before serving to allow the flavors to blend. The salad can be made up to 2 days ahead of time.
- Place some lettuce and sliced tomato on one bread slice to make each sandwich (or the bottom half of a roll). Top with another slice of bread or the top of the roll and a large pile of salad. Serve immediately, or refrigerate the sandwiches in an airtight container for up to 5 hours.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 196
- Fat: 7g
- Carbs: 31.7g
- Protein: 7g
- Sugar: 4.3g