- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 40 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4 Servings
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk (soy-free if necessary)
- 3 tbsp. plain coconut yogurt (or soy yogurt; preferably unsweetened)
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 cup vegan panko bread crumbs (gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/2 cup oat flour (certified gluten-free if necessary)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Olive oil spray
- 3 cups Sun-Dried Tomato Marinara Sauce (or store-bought vegan marinara sauce of your choice), warmed
- Vegan Cashew Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Hold one cauliflower upright on a cutting board and cut two 1 1/2-inch-thick slices from the center of the head (without removing the cauliflower’s core/base). Repeat with the second head, resulting in four large slices. You can use the leftover cauliflower in other recipes, such as Cream of Mushroom Soup.
- Combine the milk, yogurt, onion powder, garlic powder, and paprika in a large, shallow mixing bowl. Combine the bread crumbs, oat flour, nutritional yeast, dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper in a second wide, shallow bowl.
- Place a cauliflower steak in the milk mixture one at a time, flipping it to fully coat (use a spoon to drizzle the liquid over the steak to coat it fully, if necessary). Place the steak in the bread crumbs, gently turning to coat. As needed, pat the bread crumbs onto the steak. Place the steak on the baking sheet that has been prepared. After you’ve finished preparing each steak, coat the remaining cauliflower slices if serving.
- Using a brush, liberally coat the tops of the steaks with olive oil. 20 minutes in the oven Remove from the oven, flip each steak gently, and re-spray with olive oil. Return to the oven and bake for an additional 20 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- Scoop some marinara sauce onto each plate to serve. Add a steak on top (along with a couple of other smaller pieces, if serving them). Drizzle with the cheese sauce and top with the fresh basil.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 175
- Fat: 4.2g
- Carbs: 40.8g
- Protein: 17g
- Sugar: 15.1g