- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Small Plates
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Grain Free, Soy Free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4-6 Servings
- 1 large beet, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas (or one 15 oz. can, rinsed and drained)
- 2 tbsp. GF tahini
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, peeled
- Pinch of smoked paprika
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 6 large collard leaves, cleaned, dried, stems removed
- 2 carrots, peeled and julienned
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 avocado, pitted, peeled, and sliced
- Bean sprouts (or other sprouts)
- Cover the beet with water in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to a low heat and cover. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the beet is tender enough to be pierced with a fork. Take the pan off the heat.
- Transfer the beet to a food processor with a slotted spoon (reserving the cooking water) and add the chickpeas, tahini, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, and paprika. Process until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed. If it’s too thick, add a tablespoon of beet water at a time until it’s the consistency you want. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate for 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Lay a collard leaf flat on the counter, bottom up, and carefully run a knife down the spine of the stem, shaving off the bulk of the thick stem. Spread some beet hummus on the leaf, leaving about an inch of space around the edge. Lay out a small pile of carrots, bell pepper, and avocado slices on one half of the leaf, parallel to the spine, and top with a small pile of sprouts. Roll the collard leaf over the filling, tucking in the filling as needed, until the leaf is completely rolled up, beginning with that edge (the one closest to the fillings). Cut in half and place seam side down on a plate. Rep with the rest of the leaves. Serve right away.
- Hummus can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 404
- Fat: 20.4g
- Carbs: 45.7g
- Protein: 14g
- Sugar: 9.2g