- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Mains
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Soy Free, Vegan
- Prep Time: 5 Minutes
- Cook Time: 30 Minutes
- Recipe Yield: 4 Sammies
- One 20oz can jackfruit (packed in brine or water, not syrup)
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 3/4 cup vegan barbecue sauce (homemade or store-bought)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. sriracha
- 2 tsp. arrowroot powder
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 vegan sandwich rolls or burger buns (gluten-free if necessary), split horizontally
- Creamy, Crunchy Coleslaw
- Sliced avocado, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Drain and rinse the jackfruit. Pull it apart into shreds with two forks or your fingers until it resembles pulled meat. When you cook it, it will fall apart even more.
- In a large shallow saucepan over medium heat, heat the oil. Sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is translucent. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes after adding the jackfruit, cumin, and paprika. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine the barbecue sauce, sriracha, and arrowroot powder in a cup or small bowl. Combine with the jackfruit.
- Spread the jackfruit out on the baking sheet that has been prepared. Bake for 20 minutes, stirring once halfway, until the sauce is thick and sticky.
- To assemble the sandwich: Place a roll on a plate and cut it open. Place the avocado slices (if using) on the bottom half of the plate. Scoop a heaping spoonful of jackfruit on top, followed by a heaping spoonful of coleslaw. Serve immediately with the other half of the roll on top. Leftover jackfruit can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
Recipe Nutrition Info
- Calories: 208
- Fat: 12.3g
- Carbs: 24.8g
- Protein: 2.1g
- Sugar: 7.2g