- Recipe Cuisine: Vegan
- Recipe Category: Condiments
- Tagged: Dairy Free, Gluten Free Option, Vegan
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Recipe Yield:
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (or two 425g (15oz) cans, rinsed and drained)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tbsp. tahini (gluten-free if necessary)
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 3 cups packed chopped kale
- One 14 to 15 oz. can artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained, and quartered if whole
- Bread or crackers (gluten-free if necessary)
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, lemon juice, tahini, garlic, cumin, onion powder, and cayenne until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the dip is too thick, add a tablespoon of water at a time until it reaches the desired consistency.
- Pulse in the kale and artichoke hearts until fully incorporated but still chunky. Serve immediately with bread or crackers, or store in the refrigerator until ready to use. Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 1 to 2 days.
If you don’t like hummus, replace the chickpeas with black eyed peas and the tahini with olive oil.
Kale haters can substitute spinach, chard, or collard greens for the kale. Greens can be omitted entirely by those who dislike them.